Hotels in Qatar and Saudi are among the new openings on the LTI – Luxury Travel Intelligence ranking
Members-only digital data organisation LTI – Luxury Travel Intelligence has ranked its top 15 new hotels in the world in 2022.
Boutique hotels dominated the ranking, with some world-famous brands appearing alongside lesser-known gems.
Punta Mita, the resort town on the Pacific coast of Nayarit, Mexico, stood out as home to two of the top five hotels listed, while Italy is the country with the most entries, including the number-one winner.
Here is the World's Best New Luxury Hotels 2022 list in reverse order:
15. Nobu, Santorini, Greece The judges say: [Nobu's] city properties continue to mostly underwhelm us, whereas the beach locations – like this one – tend to deliver the upscale, chic lifestyle experience the brand is known for. santorini.nobuhotels.com
14. Vista Palazzo, Verona, Italy The judges say: This welcoming boutique hotel sits in a 19th century mansion and has opulent suites and bedrooms, creative cuisine and Italian charm in spades. The 13 suites and three bedrooms are designed with luxury in mind. verona.vistapalazzo.com/en13. Buahan, Bali, Indonesia The judges say: The first property from Banyan Tree Escapes, a brand extension from this much loved operator, focuses on creating immersive experiences that combine deep nature and sustainable design. Just 15 totally secluded 'no walls, no doors' villas surrounded by rice paddies and jungle, deliver a very different experience. escape.banyantree.com
Dubai named among world’s top cities in new ranking
Dubai International ranked among top 10 airports in the world for a layover
Skyscanner reveals winter travel trends for UAE and Saudi Travellers
theoutpostalbarari.com11. Banyan Tree AlUla, Saudi Arabia The judges say: The second Banyan Tree property to make this year’s list is this all-villa resort offering 79 luxurious tented villas in one of the world's most mysterious and exciting new destinations. Infused with elements from the nomadic nature of Nabataean design and heritage, the resort offers one-, two-, and three-bedroom villas with private pools and outdoor living space, showcasing stunning views of the rock formations in the Ashar Valley. www.banyantree.com/saudi-arabia/alula12. The Outpost, Doha, Qatar The judges say: This new resort, embedded in the unique Inland Sea nature reserve, is ready to provide a one-of-a-kind luxury experience celebrating Qatar’s rich natural environment and heritage. Surrounded by soaring sand dunes and desert wilderness, each of the very private 21 tented villas deliver an authentic nature experience, blended with flourishes of luxury hospitality.
10. Cali, Mykonos, Greececalimykonos.com9. Alila Kothaifaru, Maldives The judges say: It would be strange for a new Maldives property not to make our annual list, such is the rate of continued investment in creating exclusive luxury resorts in this very special part of the world. This year Alila Kothaifaru, with 80 villas (all with pools) gets our vote. www.alilahotels.com/kothaifaru-maldives8. Hotel Barriere Fouquet's, New York, USA The judges say: This 97-room property brings a new level of sophistication to the bustling streets of New York, mixing Parisian opulence with Tribeca panache – unlike the recently unveiled New York Aman, which despite the huge investment and pre-opening anticipation, leaves us cold. www.hotelsbarriere.com/en/collection-fouquets/new-york.htmlThe judges say: This discreet collection of 40 stunning villa suites between two mountains overlooking the Aegean benefits from a private beach. The salt water infinity pool also adds to the wow factor.
7. Gleneagles Townhouse, Edinburgh, UKgleneagles.com/townhouseThe judges say: The iconic Gleneagles country estate has arrived in the very heart of Edinburgh. Outstanding architectural features are found throughout the charming urban retreat, with each room uniquely designed to imbue a sense of understated luxury with an appreciative nod to the heritage of the building. A wellness centre, two striking bars, a restaurant and rooftop terrace complete this gem.
6. The Club House at Fontanelle Estate, Tuscany, Italywww.fontanellestate.com/en/the-clubhouse-en5. Naviva Four Seasons Resort, Punta Mita, Mexico The judges say: This just-opened luxury tented resort is as unique as nature itself, welcoming guests to a world where the deep, green jungle is the backdrop for a profoundly personalised retreat. With just 15 luxury tents surrounded by 48 forested acres on the edge of a private peninsula, Naviva is an adult-only sanctuary. www.fourseasons.com/navivaThe judges say: We are so pleased to have discovered this new and off-the-radar gem during our recent Tuscany research trip. It has just 15 understated, elegant rooms and suites, a wellness sanctuary, three restaurants, golf facilities and a beautiful pool, all surrounded by the tranquillity of the stunning Tuscan vineyards and rolling countryside.
4. Rosewood, Vienna, Italywww.rosewoodhotels.com/en/viennaThe judges say: Housed in a grandly proportioned neoclassical building, Rosewood Vienna is ideally situated on Petersplatz, one of the most famous squares in Vienna’s Old Town. Combining the best of European architecture and design with a refined yet modern style, there are 99 guestrooms and suites, all of which feature separate spaces for entertainment and relaxation. We love the rooftop cocktail bar with exceptional city views.
3. Susurros del Corazon, Punta Mita, Mexicoaubergeresorts.com/susurros2. Stanly Ranch, Napa Valley, USA The judges say: Yet another impressive opening from Auberge Resorts, with two new properties appearing in this year’s World’s Best list. Set on over 700 acres of rolling vineyards and farmland in the southern section of Napa Valley’s wine-growing region, the resort has 135 cottage guestrooms, all with outdoor terraces with fire pits and views of the Mayacamas Mountains. aubergeresorts.com/stanlyranchThe judges say: Auberge Resorts, rated number three in this year’s LTI World’s Best Luxury Hotel Brands, rarely puts a foot wrong – and once again they have delivered a luxury beachfront playground for the free-spirited. Each of the 59 rooms and suites and 30 villas and homes offer indoor-outdoor spaces with private terraces. Natural wood furniture and artisanal textiles capture the raw simplicity of Mexico’s rich craft culture.
1. Passalacqua, Lake Como, Italy (lead image)www.passalacqua.it/enThe judges say: Passalacqua is the latest passion project for one of Italy’s most well-known hotelier families, Paolo, Antonella and Valentina De Santis. As the sister property to the lake’s Grand Hotel Tremezzo – one of the world’s most iconic hotels – it offers total privacy and 24 magnificence suites, including the largest suite on Lake Como where Bellini played his piano.